Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Pastrami Project- Day 1

So all the time I've lived in SF, I've longed for great pastrami-- The pastrami of my dreams is Second Avenue Deli in NY.

Everything I've had here in this foodie town, though, I am sad to say, has been truly subpar--rubbery, flavorless, too salty.

Well, what can you do? If you want something done right, you have to try it for yourself...

So begins our Pastrami project. Day 1.






We purchased a brisket from Marin Sun Farms and set about step one, which is to corn the beef in a spice-laden brine. These are the spices we put into it: Coriander, mustard seed, white peppercorns, black peppercorns, juniper berries, dried thyme, bay leaves, garlic, kosher salt, dark brown sugar, DQ Curing salt (pink salt) and of course water.







Grind the spices, mix everything together in the brine and then into the bottom of the fridge to live for three weeks, flipping religiously every other day.



More to be posted as we get to Step Two....stay tuned...

- Posted from my iPhone

No comments: