Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Cheese kitty likes Brun de Noix

Wow, it's been a while since I posted to my blog! Yikes! Not that we haven't been eating of course, but I haven't been good about posting where we've been and what we've had. There's a fat folder full of yummy pics, and I'll try to get up to date, but in the mean time, I'm happy to report that the Cheese Kitty, who has been a little under the weather in the last year, is on the mend, gaining weight and up to his old kitty tricks.

Seen here with the French raw cow's milk cheese Brun de Noix. It's a semi-soft cheese, washed in Nocino, a green walnut liqueur. Nope, I had never heard of it either, but David Lebovitz had a nice recipe posted on his blog here. The flavor of the cheese is absolutely great, nutty with a slight bitterness, although I didn't find that off-putting at all. It's raw, so it's definitely... fragrant, but as My Omnivore put it, "this could supplant Comté as my favorite 'everyday eating' cheese."

I haven't seen it in many places, but they had it at our trusty Cheese Plus, where the pushers know to pull out their wackiest cheeses as soon as they spot us.

No comments: