Sunday, July 08, 2007

Safran du Quercy

"I have a treat for you..." says my Omnivore.

He knows the one sure way to get a giggle out of me is to feed me a cheese I've never seen before. Enter the tomme of Safran du Quercy, affined by Jean d'Alos. Such a lovely, ugly dusty rind -- I imagine it looks like the walls of the cave it's been living in for months, perhaps being gently turned by cave trolls, under the breath of dragons... Okay, maybe that's a little far fetched.

The interior is a glorious golden color and the texture is silky even though it's a fairly firm aged sheep's milk cheese. The most amazing part, though is the finish, a long nutty flavor quite unlike most sheep's cheeses-- and one that lingers in your mouth for ages after even the smallest bite.

Pick up a wedge at Cowgirl Creamery...

No comments: