Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Garlic Soup- Sopa de Ajo

Whenever I'm sick, I crave this soup. With Eric out for the count, the first thing I did when I got home was make myself a nice big batch of this for him. I'm sure it's not traditional the way I make it, but it's spicy, garlicky and yummy!

Sopa de Ajo

4 slices of country bread or a crusty peasant bread that won't fall apart easily
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup minced garlic (2 small bulbs)
1/2 cup minced shallots
1/4 packed chopped fresh thyme
1 tbsp. chopped
4 eggs
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1-2 tsp paprika
8 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup dry sherry or madeira

Saute garlic in oil and separate most of the garlic into a small bowl.

Fry the bread in remaining garlic and oil.

In a large 6-8 quart pot, combine shallots, thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper, paprika, chicken stock and sherry along with remainder of garlic. Bring to a boil, then let simmer for about twenty minutes.

Crack one egg into a small bowl or plate and gently slide it into the soup. Repeat with the other eggs and poach for three minutes in the soup. Place one slice of bread in each of four bowls, ladle one egg on top and ladle soup over everything.

No comments: