Sunday, December 12, 2004

Chamberdance Brunch: Potato Cheese Charlotte (And some unwelcome visitors in my paprika)

For our annual brunch I contributed my usual brunch items: assorted quiches and potato Cheese thingie which I got from the New York Times Cookbook. I actually make a little more than this for a bigger casserole, but try to hold backon the paprika.

While working on this one, I discovered that my paprika had been invaded by thousands -- THOUSANDS -- of grain mites. I opened the can of Szego and it was like that scene in Men in Black II "All Hail J! All Hail J!"

They must have been living in there feeding on the paprika for -- I don't want to think about how long!! Here's what they look like:
http://ipmofalaska.homestead.com/files/grainmites.html

Beware... don't keep your spices for too long!

Potato Cheese Charlotte

  • ½ cup chopped onions
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 3 cups grated raw potatoes
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 ½ tsp salt
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/8 tsp pepper
  • 1 cup grated sharp cheddar
  • 2 slice white bread

Preheat oven to 350F. Butter a 1-quart casserole.

Saute the onions in butter until limp. Mix with the potatoes, eggs, salt, paprika, pepper and cheese. Soak the bread in water til soft, then squeee dry and add to the potato mixture mixing in well.

Turn into the prepared casserole and bake 1 hour.


No comments: